Saturday, July 25, 2009

Sweet Giddiness

My niece and her fiance are visiting for the weekend. She just got engaged -- gorgeous diamond big enough to poke out an eye -- and is planning their wedding for January. She's so full of sweet giddiness. It takes me back to the time, over 20 years ago, when I was in a similar situation, when my then-boyfriend proposed and pulled out an eye-poking solitaire to slip on my ring finger. Sweet giddiness.

Then the confabs with friends, purchasing every bridal magazine on the racks, the oh-my-gosh-I'm-supposed-to-be-doing-such-and-such-nine-months-before-the-wedding panic, pausing every few minutes to admire the ring, big, loopy grins, imagining possible honeymoon destinations -- such fun!

So here's to my niece and her fiance: May they have sweet giddiness all the way up through the wedding, and may they have as much after the wedding as before.

No comments: