Sunday, August 9, 2009

It's Never Too Early

There are still two weeks until the start of school. I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I very much want my house back -- to be able to clean, sort, organize, store and not have the chaos reappear instantly; to not have to answer questions or get someone something right now because they've forgotten how to delay gratification; to have some down time without having to orchestrate it first. On the other hand, with only two weeks left, I've heard nothing from the school team to set up all that needs to be ready for the first day of school for my son. (I have some angst for my daughter as she starts a new program in a new school this year, but she doesn't have her brother's issues (only her own) that require an IEP.)

But what's really sticking out on my "What Has to Happen in the Upcoming School Year" list -- making me want to postpone the start of school for a couple of years -- is my son's Science Fair project. A child's Science Fair project assumes nightmare proportions to parents, increasing exponentially as it gets closer to "D-Day." D for Display Day. D for Defense Day. D for Desperation Day.

My son already has a good idea of what he wants to do this year -- something to do with wind energy -- so we're a fair step ahead of last year. All to the good. And all because we started talking about it the day we schlepped home from last year's Science Fair. However, his project is on a topic neither his dad nor I know anything about. While we can see which way the wind blows, run like the wind, or bow before the winds of change, we don't know how to build a windmill, collect and store the energy, measure the energy collected, or transfer the energy to make it available for use.

Perhaps the answers are blowin' in the wind.

No comments: