Monday, January 18, 2010

Year's End

Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us.  ~Hal Borland


It's Jan. 16th.  (I was going to write this entry back on New Year's Day, but stuff happens...)  I was struck by the quote above.  So many people see Dec. 31st as the end of one year and Jan. 1st as the beginning of another.  And some have one bad thing happen during the year or happen towards the end of the year and call the whole year bad.  I don't see the year as running from January 1st to December 31st.  That just feels so arbitrary to me.  To me, time just seems to flow around in a circle, and the circles stack on top of each other.  If I mark a year at all, and I probably do, it's by school years.  My years run from the start of school to the end of school, and summers are always described as "the summer between x and y grades."  I had my tonsils out in 2nd grade, not in 1972.  I started dating my husband my freshman year of college, not January 1984.  Natalie broke her arm in May of Kindergarten, not in 2006.  I must say, though, that I see grades as being difficult years.  We don't talk about my son's 2nd grade year; it's just too painful.

1 comment:

Corrie Howe said...

I like the quote and the perspective. I don't think of years either, I think about set points in time.