Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lean on me

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on...

When my son was little and this song used to come on the radio, I would turn it up really loud and sing right along with it.  The tears would pour, but I'd be singing it.  I wanted my son to know that he could lean on me when he wasn't strong.  I'd always be there to help him carry on.  It was my joy to do so.

Each of us faces our own issues, the times the floor drops out from under us.  We live with our heartbreaks, our pains, our losses, big and small.  There have been some difficult times in my life:  The week my son stopped eating (anything); the day he was diagnosed; not being able to successfully advocate for him; learning about my daughter's issues; the crises and tragedies that have impacted the lives of my family and friends.

Now when I hear this song, I still think of my son, but I also think of how interdependent we all are. Each of us can be blessed with the support of others:  Family, friends, strangers.  We can stand around, behind, under, and in front of each other to help get through our pains and sorrows.  Some days we might do the supporting; other days, we might be in desperate need of it ourselves.  Whatever direction, the trick is being open to it.

Lean on Me
Bill Withers

Sometimes in our lives we all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Please swallow your pride
If I have things you need to borrow
For no one can fill those of your needs
That you don't let show

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

If there is a load you have to bear
That you can't carry
I'm right up the road
I'll share your load
If you just call me

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Lean on me...

No comments: