Sunday, April 25, 2010

Verses

I've put off studying for this year's AWANA Truth Scripts, and they're due to be recited tonight.  One is the 23rd Psalm which, with just a little refreshment, I can do already.  The other, however, is Romans 12:9-21.  From a memorization standpoint, the language is simple, but therein lies its trickery:  It's so easy to get each bit out of order.  (That's true for the 23rd Psalm, too, but I can draw a picture story for it.)

In order to make my poor brain be able to memorize this, I've had to resort to Rainbow Order (including Indigo), and I've had to draw margin notes that include happy faces, frowny faces, evil faces, music notes, eyeballs, peace signs, spaghetti... well, you get the idea.  (Perhaps my favorite is the Evil Face that has the Universal No symbol over it and an angel sitting on its head:  "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.")

Romans 12:9-21

Love must be sincere.

Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.

Honor one another above yourselves.


Never be lacking in zeal,

but keep your spiritual fervor,

serving the Lord.

Be joyful in hope,

patient in affliction,

faithful in prayer.



Share with God's people who are in need.

Practice hospitality.

Bless those who persecute you;

bless and do not curse.



Rejoice with those who rejoice;

mourn with those who mourn.

Live in harmony with one another.

Do not be proud,

but be willing to associate with people of low position.

Do not be conceited.


Do not repay anyone evil for evil.

Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you,

live at peace with everyone
.


Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath,

for it is written: "It is mine to avenge;

I will repay," says the Lord.


On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;

if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.

In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."


Do not be overcome by evil,

but overcome evil with good.



This all makes it easier to memorize, but then I get distracted by the meaning and applications of these verses to my life or to my friends' lives.  For the former, Green and Blue are especially applicable; for the latter, Orange stays with me every time I recite them.

I suppose that's the point of doing it, though isn't it?  To find the meaning of God's Word for your life?

No comments: