Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Nothing... and everything

What have I done for you today, you asked?
  • I woke you up at 9:45 to make sure that you were still breathing.
  • I fixed your breakfast.
  • I made sure you took your morning medicine.
  • I washed your breakfast dishes.
  • I sat with you, at your request, while you tidied your room because you don't like to be alone.
  • I loved you to the sun and the moon and the stars and back again.
  • I let you earn some money for tidying.
  • I cut buttons off shirts and cut up those shirts, saving the buttons and pieces of fabric for your Arts & Crafts or school projects.
  • I allowed you to play with make-up.
  • I did two loads of laundry, including yours, washing, drying, folding, and returning them.
  • I opened and closed the stuck cookie container for you.
  • I loved you to the sun and the moon and the stars and back again.
  • I cleaned up after your lunch.
  • I sewed your Girl Scout badges and fun patches onto your vest.
  • I gave permission for you to have a friend over and was willing to go get her.
  • I offered to set you up with fun activities.
  • I let you play on the extra computer, using internet access.
  • I looked up some activities to do with you next week.
  • I sunscreened you.
  • I cleaned the pool and the filter for you; I added chlorine.
  • I checked in on you to be sure that you were safe and still breathing.
  • I loved you to the sun and the moon and the stars and back again.
  • I gave you and your friend a snack.
  • I drove your friend home.
  • I drove safely so as not to endanger your life.
  • I made sure that you had fun activities with you when we went to your brother's meeting.
  • I lent you my headphones.
  • I made your dinner.
  • I washed your dinner dishes.
  • I loved you to the sun and the moon and the stars and back again.
  • I sat through Spongebob, iCarly, and Destroy, Build, Destroy.
  • I did my level best to discipline you in a way that works for you.
  • I let you have that super-delicious chocolate peanut butter ice cream.
  • I made sure you had your evening medicine.
  • I set the ball in motion to arrange a friend's sleeping over one night this week.
  • I added overnight chemicals to the pool so that it will be sparkling clean for you tomorrow.
  • I tucked you in with your favorite soft purple blanket.
  • I turned on your night light because you're afraid of the dark.
  • I talked with you about your problems and your worries.
  • I helped you make a plan for a good tomorrow.
  • I played the soothing ocean sounds CD as you fell asleep.
  • I sat with you as you fell asleep because you're afraid.
  • I loved you to the sun and the moon and the stars and back again. 
  • I checked on you before I went to bed to make sure you were still breathing.
What haven't I done for you today?  I didn't take you to the store.  Are you sure you want to ask me what I've done for you today?

Three last things I did for you today:
  • I forgave you.
  • I hugged you extra tight.
  • I loved you to the sun and the moon and the stars and back again.

2 comments:

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

Aww! I just LOVE this post! So sweet. You are a great mom!

Lori said...

One day, she'll look back and appreciate every single one of those things!!!! And she'll know that most every day was like that for her!

And she'll laugh at how she asked you about what you've done.

And you'll get to talk about the very same things with her son or daughter!!!

xoxoxo