Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Waiting Room Meanderings

I’m sitting here in the waiting room of the SuperCare.  I had a really stinky night trying to sleep with this mosquito bite on my eyelid.  I went to bed at 11:30 but kept waking up to find myself brushing at, rubbing, or otherwise bothering my eye or funky breakout on my forehead.  My eye is the puffiest it’s been to date and won’t fully open.  I’m doing a lot with it closed, just because it seems to be happier that way.

I still don’t think it’s pink eye, but I’ll find out for sure soon enough.

What I really want is relief for the itching and for the swelling to go down, preferably before this afternoon’s IEP meeting.  Being the only person at the table who isn’t receiving a paycheck from the school system is difficult enough, but to be sitting there with my face the way it is -- think Quasimoto -- is enough to break anyone’s confidence.  While my son had to have it pointed out to him -- hardly surprising -- my daughter treated it like a car wreck she couldn’t look away from.

I ought to mention that my daughter was up again overnight last night.  She came to get me at 2 a.m.  Normally I lead her back to bed, tuck her in, and then decide whether or not she’s likely to fall off in a couple of minutes or if the whole thing is going to take awhile.  Last night she tossed and turned the three hours I was with her.  But then again, so did I.  I got back to my bed one minute before my husband’s alarm went off at 5:00.  Twelve minutes later, my son came in to find a shirt, which happened to be sitting, fortunately done, in the dryer in the basement.  At 5:25, he came back to ask me where the mop was as Otis had left a puddle.  After praising him for even thinking of the mop and cleaning it up himself, I decided I might as well make the coffee and dig out the thumb drive he needed for school today.  By then it was too late to go back to bed...

There are lots of things to tease out in the above paragraph.  Suffice it to say that I’m really, really sleepy right now.  If they leave me alone too long in the exam room, I’m likely to disturb the whole building with my snores.  Then I’ll wake up with a red cheek and a line of dribble.  I’m already humming, “I feel pretty, oh, so pretty...”


≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

So here I’ve been sitting for over 45 minutes, listening to Pride and Prejudice from LibriVox (free audio books read by volunteers) and typing this post.  Obviously, I’m pretty self-focused right now.  I wish I could think of a topic about which I could wax poetic, but my poeticity is definitely on the wane.  OK, really, I never had much to begin with.


≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

Two hours later, it’s not pink eye.  And it’s not a bug bite.  I’ll be having that IEP meeting via teleconference... 

2 comments:

Lori said...

Thinking of you!!!! Thanks for reminding me about the Librivox or whatever it is!

Confessions of a Mother, Lawyer & Crazy Woman said...

Hi Terri! Thanks for all the good wishes lately. I hope the IEP meeting was not too stressful and you got some good results. As for that eye, yuk! Sounds very unfun, hope that is on the mend for you. All my best, J