Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hanging with the Seniors

I went to the ophthalmologist's a couple of days ago for a follow-up appointment to make sure that the chicken pox virus from the case of shingles I got last month hadn't made its way into my optic nerve.  Cutting to the chase, my optic nerve is currently fine.  However, the doctor told me that bad stuff (technical term) can happen six to nine months later, so, umm, keep my eyes peeled for certain symptoms.

I don't remember ever seeing an ophthalmologist prior to these two appointments.  The office staff was friendly and polite, the office was clean, with up-to-date equipment, the wait times were unconscionably long, and the doctor was knowledgeable with a terrible bedside manner, in my opinion.

However, none of these things struck me nearly as much as did the average age of patients in the waiting room -- and there were a lot of patients:  Mid-70s to 80s seemed to be the norm.  Quite a talkative bunch, too!  I never knew that the ophthalmologist's office was the happening hangout for the senior crowd.

At this exam (but not the one last month), they said they'd have to dilate me.  Now, the last time I was dilated, I gave birth, so this was a bit of an "I beg your pardon?" moment for me.  Once I understood the procedure, however...  But I just felt so old, like I did on my last birthday when I reached that new "What is your age?" check-off box on forms:  
  • 18 - 24
  • 25 - 34
  • 35 - 44
  • 45 - a hundred gazillion
I was hanging with seniors, waiting for my eyes to dilate, and contemplating being vocally cantankerous about the fact that it was over an hour since my appointmet time, and I still hadn't seen the doctor yet.

1 comment:

Lori said...

It's cool to hang with the seniors!! I've been hanging with them at the opthamogist's office every year for the last 27 years!!!! So enjoyed coffee yesterday!