Tuesday, August 10, 2010

It's Time.


(Drawing from http://heitmuller.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html)

If I can make it through today, I have only 14 more days to get through before the start of school.

Camps have finished.  Now we're doing all the doctors' appointments and back-to-school shopping, including for the "boring" stuff.  My daughter, though 10 years old, doesn't like staying home alone.  Could she possibly verbally begrudge the time spent at her brother's appointments or buying his stuff more?  ("Why should I have to go to his appointments?  It's always about himHe doesn't have to go to my appointments...  Why does he have to have a calculator?  Why do they have to unlock it from the rack?  Why don't they hurry up with the key?  This is so stupid.  I want us all to stay home.")  I know whom I'd like to stay home...

Even when home, they bicker.  Well, they bicker whenever my son emerges from the basement for breaks from playing his video games.  (He still has to print and assemble the colossal amount of summer assignments he had to do, and he still has to fly a kite -- really -- but for the most part, his school work is done.  That doesn't stop his griping at his parents when told to do anything that isn't playing or eating or petting the dogs, however.)  Most of their bickering is variations of "S/He's looking at me!" but magnified a hundredfold by her emotional dysregulation and his Asperger's.

Disclaimer:  I love my children.  I do not love my children's behavior when they are together for longer than, oh, say, five minutes.

Please note that this summer, unlike last summer, I didn't start the countdown to the start of school until there were only two weeks remaining.  Last summer, I started the countdown with the full 10 weeks remaining -- yep, from Day 1 of summer vacation last year, I was ready to send them back.  I consider my restraint this year to be major progress.  (I'm ignoring the fact that we had only nine weeks of vacation this year, so really the comparison is three weeks remaining.  Still a major achievement.)

Do you think God frowns upon prayer requests for sanity and/or the quick passage of time until the start of school?

1 comment:

Lori said...

I'm counting days too...sort of for different reasons (some good, some bad) but either way, hoping they fly!!!

(Prayers for sanity are just fine, I think!)