Sunday, July 17, 2011

My dear child

My dear child,

There are so many things I have wanted to do with you, so many lessons and values I have wanted to share as you've grown.  Let me say them here, in case you haven't heard me:
  • Laugh, sweetheart, every day.  Find those things in life that are silly, funny, even absurd, and laugh.  Laugh with joy.
  • Treat people well.  What you send out to others is what comes back to you.  Respect what you can without diminishing others for the parts that you don't like.
  • Find your gift.  Set your goals as high as your potential; you can reach the stars with what God has given you.
  • Even if no one is watching, do what's right because it's the right thing to do.  It's called ethics, and being ethical will take you farther in your life than any unethical decision can possibly take you.
  • Honor your obligations.  Be trustworthy.  Say no to making a promise you know you can't keep.
  • Ask for help.  You don't have to do it all on your own.
  • Love.  Love yourself.  Love others.  Love what you're doing.  Accept love.  If you lose what you love, go out and love some more.
Now, my daughter, as I watch you leave your young childhood behind you for the tween/teen middle school years, I hope you enter them knowing that you are a beautiful, smart, and funny person who has value and the potential to reach your highest goals.  Now, my son, as you enter high school,  I hope you continue on the path to greatness; you have so much to give.

I have loved you since long before you were born.  I loved the idea of you before that.  You have been a source of joy to me and the sweetest light of my life.

With love to the sun and the moon and the stars and back again,
Mom

No comments: