Saturday, August 13, 2011

Quotes

People post quotes on Facebook all the time.  Most of them are nice, but they don't really apply to me.

In the past couple of weeks, my sister has posted a couple that have resonated.  The first one,
Slowly I have realized that I don't have to be qualified to do what I am asked to do, that I just have to go ahead and do it, even if I don't do it as well as I think it ought to be done. This is one of the most liberating lessons of my life.   Madeleine L'Engle, Glimpses of Grace
applies to just about everything in my life -- remember that I don't have a paying job -- from parenting to making dinner to advocating for my children's educational needs.  Think about it.  If people had to pass a course to have kids, the world population would plummet.  And it's for sure that I wasn't pre-certified to parent two children with special needs.  While I "get" Asperger's Syndrome, I have made a fair number of mistakes with my son, and since I don't understand depression in children, it's safe to say that I've made more than a fair number of mistakes with my daughter.  (She still brings up and waves in my face a couple of stellar parenting moments from years ago.)  And advocating?  Proof positive that I don't do it as well as I think it ought to be done smacks me in the face every time I hear that another family is going through what we went through or when I hear the same prejudiced and ignorant ideas coming from the very people who's job it is to help my son reach his potential.  Why doesn't my school system stop behaving badly?

But I can't stop parenting my children.  (There are laws about that...)  And nobody else is going to cook dinner every night even if we hit the jackpot.  And I'm the one who cares the most about my children, so the advocacy job falls to me, too -- to me, unqualified though I am, so I just have to go ahead and do it.

The other quote, just yesterday, was this:
For you will certainly carry out God's purpose, however you act, but it makes a difference to you whether you serve like Judas or like John.  C. S. Lewis
What better motivation to do what's right, what's kind, what's for the greater good even if it means a personal sacrifice, than to be like John and not Judas.  (Really, though, given how I was brought up, the motivation to not be like Judas is greater for me than the motivation to be like John.  It's a guilt thing. =)

I don't know that either quote is snappy enough to stitch on a sampler or print on a bumper sticker, but they definitely are thought-provoking words to live by.


No comments: