Thursday, October 6, 2011

Duct tape

Over at Laughing at Chaos, today's post is about the passing of Steve Jobs and the effect of his life and his death on Jen and her family.  Pretty powerful; and sad and encouraging at the same time.

That post got me to thinking.  See, right now, I'm not at home.  I had to leave.  I just can't take one more night of being at home watching my daughter not do her homework.  I'm supposed to let her fail on her own so that she'll see the failure and realize that she has to do better.  Ummm...

I'm just not convinced that this is what she's learning.  And since my gut is telling me that this is wrong, I'm having trouble.  I'm doing it, but it stresses me to the nth degree.  (We're doing other things that are difficult, but I believe in them, so I can do them.  This just isn't the same.)

So last night while I was out at that NAMI class I'm taking, my daughter took out a roll of duct tape and made a wallet, complete with coin purse and ID slot.  She didn't do her homework.  This afternoon, she took out 2 rolls of colored duct tape, made strips, and wove them together to make a purse.  She hasn't yet done her homework.  She's been home for almost six hours, and nothing has been completed.  She has six barely started assignments open on the dining room table and a whole bunch of zero grades on the school's tracking program.  And a wallet and a purse made from duct tape.

I left.  Her father can watch her not do her homework as well as I can.  I'm sitting in the local coffee joint catching up on blogs, and I read Jen's post.  She posted this from Apple:
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
I can only hope that my daughter may one day turn that duct tape ability into something to “push the human race forward."  It's a different perspective that I wouldn't have gotten if a I hadn't run away from home tonight.

No comments: