Monday, April 16, 2012

Support

My daughter's situation worsened this past summer and through the fall.  It took me a long time to talk about it.  It seemed so very different from my son's situation despite the many similarities, and the stigma against mental health issues still exists.

Once I started talking, I found support and prayers.  I'm so grateful.

However, I've got to say that I'm tired of being the one on the receiving end of support that is amended by, "Of course, it's nothing like what you're going through."  I don't want to be that one, the person in maximum crisis.  I want to be normal again, to be able to talk to a friend without crying, or rather, without any reason to cry.

That's when I realized that I've done the same to other people.  I've made those same comparisons out loud to friends in need.  Maybe it bothered them, maybe it didn't, but I'm sorry I've done it.  I hope to be more sensitive in the future.


No comments: