Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Too many changes

We have made so many changes to help my daughter over the past several months:  diet, vitamins, home strategies, meds, school.  I don't know which change is responsible for what.

Of note, though, is what happens when my daughter goes off the diet (free of gluten, casein, corn, and soy).  She was "off diet" five of nine days.  The behaviors that have followed have been ugly.  (I started this post awhile ago and came back to it today.  I had to cut this ending to the first paragraph:  "...but I can say that at this moment, we are better than we had been."  It had been true prior to the build-up of five days' worth of gluten, casein, corn, and soy; now it's a little sad to be back where we were a couple of months ago.)

I don't know if I mentioned that we started seeing a DAN! doctor up in Baltimore in November.   He was the one who recommended eliminating foods and starting vitamin therapy.  It's a lot of work, but after these past days, I can say that the diet makes a difference.

Since last Friday's appointment in Baltimore, I now have to learn how to administer shots of methyl B12.  We tracked my daughter's response after two shots at the doctor's office:  two to three days of comparative mellowness.  She even took me by the hand to show me things in a store.  My do not touch daughter actually reached out to me.  If that's not compelling, I don't know what is.

In some ways, we truly are better than we had been.

However, prayers would be welcome.


1 comment:

Lori said...

You always have mine!!!!!