Sunday, May 27, 2012

Birthday wishes

Oh.  My.  Gosh.  What a fine birthday I'm having!  Sure, I had to load the car and drive my daughter and myself 200 miles to my sister's this morning, but after that, nice, nice, nice!

We went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art (and Gift Shop!) first.  My daughter really wanted to see the Arms and Armor Room and was quite impressed by the armor, swords, daggers, etc.  I was impressed with the detailed etchings on the armor.


She took a lot of pictures, and so did I.


 
In the Gift Shop, my daughter looked around patiently and showed me the items she wanted to purchase, including a bracelet, a ring, and some pencils.  There was no whining, no badgering, nothing but appropriate 12-year-old behavior.  And sweet to my heart was this exchange:

Me:  Isn't this a great purse?  Look at these compartments.  I really like it.
My Daughter:  Can I have it?
Me:  At $72, no.
My Daughter:  Aw.  I was going to give it to you for your birthday!

No, really.  It was sweet.

(What I really want is a leather backpack from L.L.Bean, but at $299, I can't justify it any more than a $72 purse.)

When we got back to the house before going out to dinner, my daughter wished me a happy birthday and gave me the bracelet she had bought at the museum.  Sweet.


My sister and brother-in-law treated us to dinner at their favorite pub in Philadelphia, and my daughter and I happily cheated on her dietary restrictions, including fruit cobbler back at home.  A  quiet evening together, and then off to bed.

What a fine, fine day.



No comments: