Tuesday, July 31, 2012

So much nothing

I've started post after post in my head and can't seem to get past the first sentence.  How do you write about the paradox of lots and lots happening and nothing happening?  (OK, this time I made it to the second sentence before walking away.)  Let's see if I can organize all the thoughts buzzing around in my head:

The Olympics -- How cool are they?  I love to watch the Olympics, always have.  This year, however, my daughter's insomnia does not mean that she likes the Olympics any more than she ever has, so when I'm up with her, I'm not seeing much of the athletes.  This might be a good thing, though, as watching these competitions makes my heart race and my stress levels go through the roof!

Supplements, Part I -- My daughter has been taking supplements since November when we first saw the DAN! doctor in Baltimore.  (Same doctor who set her up on the diet free of gluten, casein, soy, and corn.)  The doctor adds more supplements with each visit, sometimes taking away a few, but mostly with a net increase in type and amount.  Before yesterday's appointment, she was taking eight supplements daily, some once, some twice, and some three times a day.  Twenty-three pills and one injection in addition to her medications.  (Curious?  5-HTP, P5P, Calcium/Magnesium, MSM, Folinic Acid, Tyrosine, GABA, and Methyl B12.)

Yesterday the doctor said to stop taking the Cal/Mag and one of her meds.  He also added three more supplements:  Alpha Ketoglutaric Acid, Zinc (based on her most recent blood work), and Choline.  That takes her up to 26 pills and one shot.  Did I mention that she balks?  She goes through periods of balking, griping, procrastinating, ranting...  Then she'll be all proud of swallowing handfuls at one time.  We even went through several weeks of emptying capsules into juice, at her request, with frequent demands for different juices as suddenly what was once termed "delicious" became "disgusting."

Supplements, Part II -- Yesterday's appointment with the DAN! doctor was for my son, too.  It was his follow-up to all the testing ordered at his first appointment a month ago.  The results are in:  No problems with gluten but high sensitivity to casein.  No milk or cheese for the boy.  He's doing OK without the milk -- we stopped buying it a few weeks ago in anticipation -- and since he didn't show sensitivity to wheat/gluten, he can have his breakfast, lunch, and dinner Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  However, in addition to his multivitamin, focus medication, and the oxytocin nasal spray started after the first visit, he is now to take six supplements.  (Still curious?  DMAE, P5P, Cal/Mag, Folinic Acid, Vitamin C, and a specific probiotic (for the yeast found in his system).)

Let the games begin!

A New Round -- Depression is a nasty thing.  My daughter's depressive episode last summer was awful to see.  This summer, I believe we've seen a dip again (actually, a few dips), but nothing like last summer.  She was hopeless.  We were helpless.  Seeing the spikes this summer takes me back to last summer and our despair.  I thank God that it's not as bad now, and I pray constantly that it gets better, that we aren't setting up for a school year like this past one.

Menopause -- While it ought to be a case of "'Nuff said," in fact, 'nuff can't be said.  Google (peri) menopause symptoms.  In addition to the female issues, you'll see irritability, mood swings, insomnia, panic attacks, anxiety, weight gain, bone density loss, cholesterol changes for the worse, among other symptoms.  It can go on for years.  Years.  And it has been.  In the past several months, I've been to six doctors and need to see a couple more.  I've got issues coming out my ears.  It's even more annoying because now is the time that my daughter needs her mother to be stable; sadly, Screeching could be my middle name.

Ouch -- As if it's not bad enough to learn that I have to wear compression stockings for the rest of my life -- It's a desperate attempt to avoid having ankles like my Great Aunt Agnes' -- I developed a tooth abscess and have to go to an endodontist tomorrow for a consult and likely subsequent root canal.  (I had an allergic reaction to the first antibiotic; I'm now on antibiotic #2 and have had all the icky side effects and none of the healing from the first one.)  From the endodontist's,  I go to a Visitation for the passing of my friend's husband.

There's more, but this will do for now.  Praying for the light at the end of the tunnel.


No comments: