Saturday, January 5, 2013

A year

What a strange day.  This is the first anniversary of my mother's passing.  I've been missing the positives of her quite a bit these past several months, moreso the past couple.  I've been sillier with my daughter lately, and that makes me think of silly things my mother did or said.  I've passed more of those along to my daughter recently than in the entire previous decade.  ("Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro...")

Background:  My mother had multiple mental health issues, some she addressed, some she didn't.  One that she didn't was Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).  A result of her unaddressed BPD was my need to protect my daughter from the negatives, particularly emotional manipulations.  In doing that, my daughter missed out on the positives of a relationship with her grandmother.  (Well, my mother was also physically more limited these last years and interacted less with everyone.  And she was afraid of my son's Asperger's -- but that's for another day.)

It's nice to remember the positives.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Remembering with you. xoxoxoxo